Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Running Fails but Snow Prevails...



I spent the week preparing, cutting down my mileage, and basically tapering for a little 4 mile race in Central Park. I set a goal for myself, and I knew if I could maintain that pace for three miles I'd be successful even if I found myself walking at the end. And for my final last minute prep I even ate a GU at the start line! Mile 1 passed me by, miss! Mile 2 miss! Mile 3 serious miss! And finally Mile 4 I had my act together, or rather it was a straight downhill mile.

I walked away from this race worried that not only had I disappointed myself, but also my running Coach. I was afraid that my failure was just a total let-down. But the reality of it all is we never fail if we get out there and try. My newbie runner friend had just tweeted me the other day that she had a running fail, and I told her not to worry, and here I was worrying. I couldn't take my own advice. Now after mulling it over and realizing we all have bad days, I realized its the good ones and sometimes the great ones we live for.

The night before the race, I enjoyed the NYC Opera with friends, a wonderful treat I normally would never get to enjoy! And tonight, a snowstorm in NYC lead me to a wonderful run around the park with a new running buddy. This is what its all about, enjoying life and running. Keeping your old friends in your new running life and making new ones along the way!

2 comments:

  1. Running in snow is never easy...It's often my struggle too since I find it hard..
    --I prefer running without shoes. My toes didn't get cold. Besides, if I'm in front from the start, no one can step on them. ~Michelle Dekkers - saucony running shoes

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got your head on straight, hat is what counts. Nice blog post!

    ReplyDelete